Lomeshaye Bridge Mill, purchased by the Trust in 1998, was the Trust’s first acquisition in Nelson. This four storey mill was also the first industrial building to be erected in this part of the town and predates all the housing (see maps below). Initially it was a two storey steam powered cotton spinning mill and this part is dated 1841. In 1899, a two further storeys and the adjoining weaving sheds were added, reflecting that from the mid 19th c, Nelson developed as a weaving town, with spinning concentrated in Manchester and Bolton.
The Prince of Wales’ Regeneration Trust has adopted the Mill as an exemplar regeneration through heritage project, and led efforts to find a suitable sustainable new use. Plans have been prepared by Purcell Miller Tritton to convert the Mill to managed workspace, archive storage, and a workshop for the Trust’s building construction company (Conservation Services NW). Planning permission has been granted and funding has been secured from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Work started on the conversion 2014.
Lomeshaye Bridge Mill, Lomeshaye Road, Nelson, BB9 7BD
Pendle Borough Council, Heritage Lottery Fund, English Heritage, Architectural Heritage Fund, The Prince’s Regeneration Trust.