This fine Palladian house was commissioned by Sir Thomas Clifton in 1752 to replace a previous house on the site, the seat of the Clifton family. It stands in 80 acres of mature park and woodland, survives little altered today and is regarded as one of the best works of the eminent architect, John Carr of York, who spent ten years completing the design, which incorporated some of the earlier 16th c house, the remains of which are still visible in the Courtyard and West Wings. The Trust entered into a lease with the owners Lytham Town Trust in 2000, and the two Trusts have recently been awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £2.4 million towards refurbishment of the Hall and the collection of furniture and paintings to create an historic visitor attraction. Conference and restaurant facilities will be developed to generate revenue. In addition, part of the upper floor will be converted to provide holiday accommodation. The Trust is currently fundraising to assemble the remainder of the £5.9 million that this phase of the project will cost. The registered historic parkland will be restored and developed as a visitor facility and eventually an income generating activity will be found for the stable yard and outbuildings which will help provide funds for the ongoing running and maintenance of the Hall.
Lytham Hall, Ballam Road, Lytham, Lancashire, FY8 4JX
The Estate Office, Lytham Road, Ballam Road, Lytham, Lancashire, FY8 4JX
Telephone 01253 736652
Lancashire County Council, Fylde Borough Council, Lancashire Environmental Fund and Veolia.
Architectural Heritage Fund
Heritage Lottery Fund